Thursday, September 16, 2010

Eminem and Jay-Z Concert Review



This past Monday I was lucky enough to witness a co headlining event featuring the 2 biggest rappers of my generation, in one of the most famous baseball stadiums in the world. As I was squished, sandwiched and compressed in the will call line outstide the venue a smile remained on my face realizing I was about to be a part of history and only a few hundred feet away from Eminem and Jay-Z....in Yankee Stadium.

Somethings you absolutely have to be experience before you die include: Drugs, love, a colonoscopy, and watching your favorite artist perform live. For and hour and a half I was fortunate enough to witness our generations’ Elivs spit lyrics full of anger, hate, and overall disregard to the profanity sensitive ear, and yet the capacity crowd of over 45,000 plus responded with nothing but praise and admiration.

Mr. Mathers also decided to bring out some old friends including his fellow bawdy Michiganites D12, as well as 50 cent who sported a glow in the dark ensemble apparently paying homage to ‘old-school’ esque performances of the late Michael Jackson.

After bringing 50 cent and company out for a mini set, Eminem brought the crowd to its feet with his 1999 hit, “My name is”. However the song was cut short after Em’s famous lyrics

“My brain's dead weight, I'm tryin to get my head straight
but I can't figure out which Spice Girl I want to impregnate
And Dr. Dre said……”

In which the song was interrupted buy a thick 808 that shook the ground followed by the proverbial and signature Dr. Dre piano that brought the man himself on stage. The legendary producer/rapper and apparent middle lineman for the Raiders tore the house down with his presence alone. Dre finished his set with ‘Still D.R.E’ and ‘Nuttin But a G’thang’.

After Eminem closed his set with “Lose Yourself” along with a luminescent pyrotechnic display the crowd had about 20 minutes to rest their legs and buy beer for $9 a bottle. Usually a time to discuss what we had just witnessed I was interrupted by a set of boos by the then now standing patrons of Yankee Stadium. Who could bring on such negative attitude on such a positive night? That’s right, Lebron James along with his entourage of about 15 were making their way to their seats. I was too surprised and thus unprepared to take my camera out and take a picture as he made his way through the crowd, like, doesn’t he usually make televised announcements for things like that?

My Review On Jay-Zs performance tomorrow.

No comments: